Dr. Catherine Foster Rowell
Councilwoman FOR DISTRICT 1, City OF South Fulton
As a city council hopeful, I embrace citizen participation, fiscal responsibility and government transparency. If elected to be Councilwoman for District 1, I will work tirelessly to accomplish the following:
- Direct our tax dollars – i.e., city and local option sales taxes, etc. – to expand the essential public services of police and fire to ensure they are adequately outfitted and resourced to keep our communities safe.
- Support building a state of the art Public Safety Training facility.
- Support Police Athletic League (PAL) to promote positive engagement between law enforcement and our youth.
- Offer community-oriented public safety programs (i.e., child safety, self-defense, teen driving, firearms, first aid/CPR, etc.) to promote healthy ongoing interactions with the city’s public safety personnel.
- Advocate for a competitive human resources package to attract Fulton County Special Services District employees to the City of South Fulton.
Health & Well-Being
- Support strong code enforcement regulations to maintain a safe, healthy and attractive living and working environment for City of South Fulton residents.
- Increase investment in parks and recreation to ensure youth and senior programming promotes healthy living.
- Advocate for a grant writer to leverage private and charitable investment in parks and social services for city residents.
- Explore feasibility of developing a mixed-use town center complex adjoining to Wolf Creek Library and Amphitheater.
- Create a business friendly climate that is conducive to smart growth and ecofriendly development.
- Invest in a robust economic development department to attract businesses and create jobs.
- Leverage existing federal and state policies and revenue sources (i.e., Community Development Block Grant funds, etc.) to bolster our local economy.
- Work with our state legislators to ensure there is an inclusive process to obtain public input in changing the name of our City.
- Invest in aging housing stock by securing funding to provide home improvement grants to seniors and the disabled.
- Introduce legislation to maintain a citizen zoning review structure that provides local control over residential, commercial and industrial construction and growth.
- Collaborate with Fulton County Schools to determine how the City of South Fulton can support our local schools.
Government Transparency & Fiscal Responsibility
- Facilitate public discussions and proactively communicate about important policy issues using committee meetings, emails and social media to keep citizens informed.
- Offer online access to the city budget and expenditure documents to promote financial transparency.
- Conduct periodic reviews of city contracts to keep service levels high and costs low.